Above is a diagram of all the symptoms and manifestations that occur in people with cystic fibrosis.
Personally I have experienced and developed the following:
- Vitamin A, D, E, and K deficiency
- Chronic cough
- Mild clubbing of the fingers/mild "barrel chest"
- Inguinal hernias (left and right) due to the pressure and intensity of coughing
- Gastrointestinal bleeding (recurring)
- Bronchitis & recurring lung infections
- Hemoptysis (blood in sputum) due to broken blood vessels in airways and scar tissue in lungs
- Decrease in lung function
- Insulin deficiency (hypoglycemia) due to abnormal pancreatic functioning
- Chronic fatigue
- Sweat glands producing salty sweat due to the sodium chloride correlation of CF
Some patients with CF show different symptoms with different severities. No patient is alike, therefore it is important to know each individuals case and experience with the disease.